Amazon Banner

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Whatcha watching?

This blog is going to be a little different. I’m going to talk about things I’m currently watching and things I’m extremely excited about coming up.

The Walking Dead



Is it the best show on television? For me it’s in the DVR as my number 2 show (Game of Thrones takes the #1 slot). It's the top of my list for the fall. What can I say about it that millions of other people haven’t said? It’s creepy and scary and the make-up effects for the zombies continue to keep me in a state of awe. The continue to push the boundaries of practical effects. While the zombies are impressive, the story revolves around a small band of humans trying to survive in this post-apocalyptic world.

Often, their most dangerous situations come from other survivors in a complete and devastating breakdown of society. The story has moved on in locations from a camp just outside Atlanta to Hershel’s farm, to a prison, a brief stop at Terminus and on to Alexandria and with each location the danger keeps increasing. It’s a must watch for me. I'd pick a favorite character, or performance, but everyone brings their A game every week. It would be like asking which toe I've grown most attached? Answer, they all hurt when stubbed.

The Flash



You got me. If it involves superheroes I’m there from the old Batman series with Adam West, Wonder Woman with Linda Carter, The Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno through the 90’s Flash with John Wesley Shipp, Mutant X and host of really terrible shows, then came Smallville and that was fun, but disappointing in the end. Then came Arrow and two seasons later, The Flash.

The Flash is what I’ve always hoped for in a superhero show. We have a great character in Barry Allen played by Grant Gustin and with him his rogues gallery of some of the best villains written for any superhero. Captain Cold, Gorilla Grodd, Heatwave, the Reverse Flash, Professor Zoom, the Trickster. This show knows to have fun and put emotional weight on its characters. His support team is fantastic and they bring enough drama to keep Barry a little off balance and hold him up when he needs to be heroic. It’s a lovely show. They also brought in a personal favorite hero of mine, Firestorm! Although, part of me really missed the red and yellow costume of the character from the comics and the Hanna Barbara Superfriends cartoon.

Arrow



I know this is cheating. The Arrow kicked off bringing a new generation of superhero shows to TV. It launched the Flash and both shows are building to bring in a third called: The Legends of Tomorrow. They’re also having John Constantine stop by (another favorite canceled by NBC, Constantine. May your peacock feathers droop.) Arrow starts off with Oliver Queen, played by Stephen Amell, castaway on an island for five years. He’s rescued but he’s scarred, angry and has amazing skills with martial arts and a bow.

The new Green Arrow (Yay!) quests to fight corruption in his city under the guise of the Arrow. His tactics are brutal and get the attention of the police and Detective Lance, played by the awesome Paul Blackthorne. Ollie is soon wanted for murder, pursued by both police and a host of bad guys who want him dead. Luckily, Ollie is not without friends and family Thea, Diggle, Felicity, Laurel and later on Canary, Roy Harper, Ray Palmer and his frenemy Malcom Merlyn. This show like The Flash are a gateway to expanded DC Universe and these shows have the secret sauce that movie Universe doesn’t seem to share.

Drunk History





I threw you with this one. This show makes me laugh like no other. The premise is pretty simple. Derek Waters hops from city to city and meets up with comedians they get smashed and tell stories of historical significance. Meanwhile, reenactors play out the stories is the most hilarious way possible by lip-synching to the words of the drunken comedian often with hilarious results. The true brilliance of the show is behind the drunken slurs, cursing, anachronisms, goofy costumes and actor that in no way resemble the figures they portray; the history is pretty accurate. This show is fun and charming and I never thought I’d say that about the annoying drunk in the bar. This show is brilliant.

Sleepy Hollow



Speaking of history, I love how this show weaves history with the supernatural into one part buddy cop show, one part supernatural mystery and one part history lesson. There’s nothing about this show that should work. Except the two leads Ichabod Crane played by Tom Mison, and Abbie Mills played by Nicole Beharie are completely charming and have amazing chemistry. The headless horseman in season 1 was truly terrifying, season 2 slumped for me, but it had a good payoff, Season three has them back on track in pursuit of a new deadly threat. This one is pretty mysterious and by episode four I have no sense of what her end game is and neither do the characters, they barely know who she is. It really feel like I’m along for the ride in this season and that’s fun. Abbie and Ichabod are exploring their friendship and I like that theirs is partnership that doesn’t try too hard to veer into romantic entanglements. The opening credits rank right up among my favorites such as Game of Thrones, Battlestar Galactica, Black Sails and The Walking Dead. I really like shows that open with haunting music and stunning visuals. I actively choose this show over the Blacklist as they compete for the same timeslot.


The Blacklist



I only have one thing to say about The Blacklist, James Spader. His Raymond “Red” Reddington may be the most intriguing character on TV. I’m enthralled by the performance, his interest in Lizzy and what scared him so much that he turned himself in to the FBI? He’s the ultimate operator/underworld figure. The supporting cast is competent and there are some standout performances most notably, Liz’s husband, Tom Keen played by Ryan Eggold. His dark and shady nature in the guise of someone who seemed so normal was an amazing twist. Megan Boone who plays Elizabeth Keen holds her own against Spader as they dive deeper into more dangerous waters of this shadow world. I came into this show late and binge watched the first season to get caught up. This one is a marvel.

iZombie



This show rocks my world. It’s funny, irreverent, and glib with snappy dialog. I’m completely in love with Rose McIver’s Olive Moore. Not stalkerish, but there’s no scenario that I wouldn’t let her nibble on my brain. In her world, a zombie is created by contact with another zombie, the show uses a scratch rather than the more traditional bite, but they’ve explored contraction of the zombie virus through sexual contact. The ultimate STD. The virus turns the skin and hair completely white, that goodness for hair dye and tanning spray.

Liv had to give up her old life complete with fiancé and job as doctor and became a coroner, which gave her easy access to brains. Zombie still need to eat brains, but in this case to keep them from becoming scary monsters. She consults with the police department on cases as a psychic and this is great cover, because the brains she eats (in delightful and tasty ways) gives her visions and personality traits of the murder victims. She helps the police solve the crimes. There’s lots going on the background of the story that is building to something truly big in the undead circles. This one’s a keeper.

Doctor Who



A fifty year old show that never fails to entertain and surprise. This new incarnation with Peter Capaldi feel like a throwback to my earliest experiences with the show back in the 70s with Tom Baker and John Pertwee, but with modern storytelling. I’m in love every time I hear the whoosh-thunk sound of the Tardis, the whirl of a sonic screwdriver, the raspy exclamations of a Dalek and when that iconic theme music in its remixed format with every incarnation of the of the most beloved time-traveler put to the screen.

That’s my current list. What am I looking forward to?

1. The Expanse – A space opera that is being likened to Battlestar Galactica in terms of tone and scope. Really looking forward to some hard sci-fi.

2. Legends of Tomorrow – A spin-off of Flash and Arrow that’s bring characters from both shows together in and expanded DC Universe show. This is a must see!

3. Into the Badlands – A post-apocalyptic show where there are no more guns and I’m purposely trying to not learn anything about it. I want to be surprised. I
really hope, I’m surprised.

4. Supergirl – Same show runner as Flash and Arrow, different network. Crossovers? I hope so! Really looking forward to this one.

5. Sherlock – Can’t wait for the next series to start. The upcoming Christmas episode is set in Victorian times. Can’t wait!

What are you watching? Let me know in the comments below.



My newest book Knight and Dex is available in paperback on Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble and don’t forget my publisher www.TWBPress.com has copies also!! They’re who I get them from. 

The release date of the e-book is Oct 31st. It’s a perfect day for the release. Cops, superheroes and the undead prowl the streets in my book. A little like Halloween night.

Dex Territory and Knight and Dex are on sale!

Let me know if you want an author signed copy. I have ways to get those to YOU!

Keep those reviews coming!!

Where can you find me?
www.twbpress.com
www.twbpress.com/authormarkaberdeen
www.amazon.com/author/markaberdeen
www.twitter.com/Mark_Aberdeen
www.facebook.com/mark.aberdeen
www.facebook.com/DexTerritoryBook



You can find Dex Territory for every possible device at:
TWBPress.com


Amazon.com
Barnesandnoble.com
smashwords.com
iBooks
Kobo

No comments:

Post a Comment