Amazon Banner

Monday, October 5, 2015

Life, NaNoWriMo and New Release!!

I’ve been a little distracted lately by life. I’d been writing solidly for the better part of two years, pumped out two novels and about halfway through my third and I ran out of gas. I’ve taken a little bit of a break from writing and went out to live a little, did some projects on my house, caught some baseball games and some football (I’m from New England and I make no apologies for who I root for), dusted off my inner cook and ate good food, reconnected with my wife (who I widowed while writing my second book) and we had to deal with the death of a family member. Unfortunately, that’s life too.

Life can be a full time job and as a writer those life moments are all fodder for story. I’m not saying that a story needs all the minutia of daily life, but a well-formed character has it and it affects them. My main character in the Dex Territory series, Rick O’Shea, is in constant need of sleep, he eats crappy food, he get hurt a lot, he deals with a past that haunts him, he has relationship problems, his superiors hate him, he has friends and girlfriend that complicate his life, he clings on to this ideal of being a cop that he learned from his dad, but feels he always comes up short even when he does remarkable things. He’s sometimes short on temper, makes bad decisions and has no respect for authority...yet, he cares about those around him, he tried really hard to do the right things, sometimes he does absolutely the wrong thing for the right reason. He masks pain with humor. He’s a mess and those always make the best characters, because it’s real. It’s life. These last couple of months as we build up to the release of Knight and Dex were a reminder of that. It was time to recharge.

Now, there’s recharging your batteries and losing interest in the work. This was definitely the former. I dive headlong back into writing in time NaNoWriMo. For the uninitiated NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. The goal is to write 50,000 words in 30 days. Last year was the first year I missed in the last ten because, I was getting ready to release Dex Territory and my publisher and I were in edit mode. This year I have half a novel written and my goal is to turn out my first draft of Dex Machina. I haven’t quite told my wife that she’s about to be widowed again for a month, but November is a good month to write. (I think she knows and it’s a busy time of year for her, so she’ll be safely tucked out of the way of a grumpy writer). The weather turns crappy, work slows down, Thanksgiving in in there, which usually gives me some extra time as I usually take that week off. There’s also something to be said for having a goal and sharing it with thousands of people. Honestly, I don’t know how big NaNoWriMo is these days and it doesn’t really matter to me. What matters is I have a local group and we share our progress, encourage each other and build this great sense of comradery in what is by necessity a very lonely profession. At least during the creative process. Truly, no one else can write the words.

But this year, while in the midst of my furious flurry of creative cursive I hope to enlist some other writers to take up blog slack with some interviews. These guys are up and comers like me and learn about their project and why they should be followed with zeal. I’m lining them up now and creating a list of probing questions sure to break them...I mean, um, get to know them. I hope to put out one or two a month and I think it’ll be a lot of fun.

My newest book Knight and Dex is available in paperback on Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble and don’t forget my publisher www.TWBPress.com has copies also!! They’re who I get them from. 

The release date of the e-book is Oct 31st. It’s a perfect day for the release. Cops, superheroes and the undead prowl the streets in my book. A little like Halloween night.

Dex Territory and Knight and Dex are on sale!

Let me know if you want an author signed copy. I have ways to get those to YOU!

Where can you find me?
www.twbpress.com
www.twbpress.com/authormarkaberdeen
www.amazon.com/author/markaberdeen
www.twitter.com/Mark_Aberdeen
www.facebook.com/mark.aberdeen
www.facebook.com/DexTerritoryBook

You can find Dex Territory for every possible device at:
TWBPress.com
Amazon.com
Barnesandnoble.com
smashwords.com
iBooks
Kobo

2 comments:

  1. Quite possibly. :) I have a box for you and I need to drop it in the mail. I think you will like said contents in said box. Although, you may be disappointed the box will probably not contain a certain Mrs. Aberdeen. I have her doing stuff.

    ReplyDelete