Amazon Banner

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Mixed Success, minor disappointment, little victories and etch-a-sketches

My career of being an author is just in it's initial stages and the apprenticeship program was very long. I'm discovering there's still lots and lots to learn. Getting the wheel spinning on book sales is akin to a marathon rather than a sprint and I'm good with it. I've been out and about talking with bookstores and I've gotten Dex Territory up on some shelves! Yay! That feels pretty good seeing your book in Barnes and Noble and an independent bookstore. I've left some signed copies in both and we'll see what happens. I've got submissions into others who want to evaluate the book prior to a commitment to purchase. They know their markets and they'll let me know if the book will move. It's also not a good idea to swing back, because it's disheartening to see that your author signed copies haven't moved an inch. Forward always!

One thing that's really neat it by going out and talking with the various bookshop owners they've turned me on to some writing groups. I'm very interested in talking with other writers. the idea of bouncing ideas around and getting feedback and providing feedback to others sounds like a ball fun. I belong to some online writer groups and they're good at making contacts, but most writers you meet use the internet to make people aware of their work. I do. I find I get a lot of other writers who want you to buy their work. I've selectively offered to trade copies with other authors for reviews. I'm especially interested in other TBWPress authors as I want to help promote TWB and grow the readership. I'm currently reading the Berlin Affair by Stephanie Smith. I hope to have it finished this weekend. She's going to get a doozy of a review. It's really good! I also find that my most productive conversations are when I can talk with another writer one-on-one and build a relationship. It's kind of nice to share the business of writing with another who's going through similar experiences.

Writing is pretty much a single player game. It's you, your screen, a keyboard, or notepad and a table with your ass in a chair. It's your ideas, a whole bunch of research, sometimes you have a lot of work to do to add a detail. If you make the mistake, like I did, that you know something without doing the research. You can feel really foolish when an editor says, "bullshit." So, put in the time and take that extra moment to get some facts. Remember, Wikipedia is exactly like Encyclopedia Britannica if it were written on Etch-a-sketches by people who may, or may not, know what the hell they're talking about. And without warning at any moment can just be shaken up. Be careful of your sources.

Book progress; Book 1 is done and out, buy your copy already! Book 2 has slid into place of book 3 when I decided I wanted a story in between the first and second book. I felt I needed a story that was a little more intimate, yet at the same time made the reader understand the stakes. This story is more of a Sherlock Holmes case rather than a Michael Bay movie. Although, that's coming. It also gives me a chance to expand on some elements that I wanted to explore in the first book, but we pulled out due to pacing issues. The first book was Rick navigating his world and now we're going to look underneath that a little. I think it's still going to be fun, I don't know how to write without some kind of twisted humor in it, but it's going to have a little darker tone than Dex Territory.

I'm writing this blog instead of writing the book, so I probably need to get back to doing that.

Thank you to all my readers. I love you guys and thanks for all the great feedback. Leave me a review on Amazon, Goodreads, Smashwords, Barnes and Noble, or wherever you can. You have no idea how much that helps.

Please find me at:
www.twbpress.com
www.twbpress.com/authormarkaberdeen
www.amazon.com/author/markaberdeen
www.twitter.com/Mark_Aberdeen
www.facebook.com/mark.aberdeen
www.facebook.com/DexTerritoryBook

My work is also at:
Barnesandnoble.com
smashwords.com



3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I really, really do. It's incredibly fulfilling. The power of the writer is absolute and with a paper and pencil, or equivalent, anything is possible. Isn't that awesome?

      Delete